Saturday, April 7, 2012

In Lent


The way is long.
The climb is hard.
Upwards.

But pain
Pulls down-
Body and spirit
Pull down
On the upwards climb.
The summit is yet ahead.
I cannot see it.
Others
Who have been there
Tell me it is ahead.
They tell me:
"Keep on!"

This I know:
The mists part
From time to time.
I glimpse
The landscape below.
I have inhabited
That landscape
For many years.
I have known its parts.
Parts I know well.
All its parts
I have loved.
Knowing it well
Does not mean
I know it whole.
(We can love completely
Without knowing wholly.)
Even now,
In the glimpses
Through the mists,
I see its wholeness
Without knowing it whole.

The way is hard.
The climb is long.
There is joy in the pain.
There is peace in the downward view.

Holy Saturday, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment