Friday, May 21, 2010


It's Only a Name

My parents named me "Thomas Nathan Smith." The "Thomas" was from my mother's father, Alfred Thomas Brown. The "Nathan" was from my father's father, "Nat Jacob Smith." Until her death, thirteen months after my birth, my mother called me "Tommy," as did mostly everybody else for the next twenty years. The diminutive is a very Southern and Southwestern thing, so that Thomases in Texas and Oklahoma are "Tommys" till they die. To this day, if my phone rings, and the voice on the other end says, "Tommy?" I know I am talking to family in Texas or California. During my childhood, I was called "Tommy Nat" in the community as a way to connect me with my family of Smiths. Occasionally, I was called "Tomcat" or "Little Tommy Tucker" by members of my family. My daddy called me "Tbone" or, just "T."

After several years with my father, I entered an adolescence in which I was uncontrollable and, in many ways, on my own. I became a Christian at age fifteen and began preaching before I was sixteen. I drew away from my family then because of their lack of enthusiasm for my over-zealous and fundamentalist faith. People began to regard me as a boy without a family, without a past. Because of my talents and personality, these same people regarded me as a boy with a great future.

So, because I lacked a past and had a great future, people with the best of intentions began to make me their "Project." They taught me how to dress, how to eat in public, how not to extend my hand to a lady until she extended hers, how to talk- in particular they went after my English grammar and Southwest "twang," they persuaded me to leave my grandparent's home and the little "podunk" of a town where I went to school, and on and on...

They were grooming me for greatness and my family could only stand by and wonder what the hell was going on. Of course, all of this was "for the greater glory of God and His kingdom." I went along with it all, in part, because I was driven by an insatiable ambition and by dark insecurities. Oh, occasionally, I rebelled. I once hitchhiked from Okemah, Oklahoma to Boise, Idaho with a wad of cash that would choke a catfish and a very expensive Gibson guitar. But, I came back, rededicated my life to Christ, and bowed once again to the yoke of the handlers and improvers.

When I got among Yankee handlers and improvers, they did not approve of my name. "Tommy" was too Southern or too much like a hick, so I became "Tom." During a year at the Moody Bible Institute, I became friends with its President, George Sweeting. He also had great expectations for me. It was Dr. Sweeting who began spelling "Tom" as "Thom." "Thom" would give me more distinction on the preaching circuit. So it has been "Thom" for almost forty years.

(By the way, the naming of people and things in the Bible is replete with theological significance. To name something or someone is to exercise sovereignty or ownership over it. This is still true. Just imagine trying to "rename" a neighbor's dog or child!)

I think about all the forms of my name by which I have been called. I now realize that so many of them were the result of other people making me their "Project." Of course, being human, all of them hoped to gain from my anticipated glory. Many of them are dead now. All who remain alive are old. Old age has begun to gather around me. I am too old to be bitter, but old enough to now understand what was going on.

In my mature years, I have reconnected with my families all over the country. They call me "Tommy" and I have begun to sign off as "Tommy" in my written communications with them. But the name I am fondest of is my Daddy's nickname for me as a child: "Tbone."

Thus have I come full circle to Home again... and to myself.

Rabbi Tbone

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Thomas, isn't it amazing the many things that we don't understand about ourselves until we are older? Something as simple as your name; or not so simple to you, perhaps. I have had a sense of being cheated somehow in life, of having something grabbed from me. It has only recently hit me in the face since Dinell's boy, Creston was murdered. My grandfather, my father's dad, totally consumes my recollection of early childhood. He used to sit with me on his knee, rocking me and my baby doll, as he read the Bible, sometimes even reading to me. He told my mother when she was pregnant with me that he wanted a strawberry blonde girl with blue eyes. At the time he had all grandsons. He also wanted her to name me Sharon. I'm sure I was spoiled by him. We moved from LeFores, TX, when I was six and very soon thereafter, we received the call that he was dead. He had been killed in a pump house.....the FBI was on the case for 7yrs. It has always been a sadness that we did not have more time together.
    In the months after Creston disappeared, I began to dream of Grandpa Burchfield and I began to have an anger. After Creston's body was found and I had talked with Dinell at length, some of the things she said about her anger echoed within me and I knew I had carried this deep inside me for years.

    I know this is not the same as having all those people rename you to use you for their "project", but it is a human condition of hiding those things within ourselves that is common to us. We must count it a blessing to have the business of life to contend with,ie. the raising of children, school, work, etc. I don't think I was ready to face myself and such anger at a younger age.......God has "aged" me with the life He has given me. For that, I am thankful. Much love to you, your sister-in-Christ, sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it’s only a name but so much of who we are and how people perceive us tied to it.

    My parents gave me the name Elizabeth Ann I suppose because they liked it. That is what they call me. My mother’s mother, called me Ibby. I can still hear her calling “my” name though she has been gone 33 years. But, when I started school, at some point, Elizabeth became Liz (much to my mother’s dismay.) Even my sisters took to calling me Liz. With the name came many variations, usually used by ornery boys to drive me crazy of which you were one!
    Then I married at the young age of 19 and I was again Elizabeth. For some reason I perceived it inappropriate to be called Liz. My sisters still on occasion would call me Liz and I would respond to hearing it, but my adult “circle of friends” called me Elizabeth.
    In the past 7 years as I’ve made the struggle to find my new identity I have reconnected with childhood friends and found great comfort in being called Liz. That part of my life is part of who I am, as is my adult life as Elizabeth. I am both rolled into one.
    I have always found it interesting that if anyone shortened my name it has always been to Liz and not Beth, Betsy, Betty, etc. I like that!

    I was a child of 8 years old when I met you. You were Tommy then and in my mind will always be Tommy. You will never know how hard it was to stop calling you Tommy and interesting too is that it was during the same period of time that I was putting being called Liz behind me.

    I don’t care what you call me, Elizabeth, Liz or even Lizard Lips…They are all a part of who I am. Nowadays I am introduced as Elizabeth and say that I am called Liz by my closest and dearest friends and relatives.
    I love to see you sign your name Rabbi Tbone. It makes me smile.
    I in return will address you as to my mood. *smirk*

    Ps. It’s funny to me that YEARS ago when Ana Lundin was helping set me up on a computer and getting me my first email that we couldn’t come up with an address. You would be surprised at how many Elizabeth Hoyt’s there are! She tried iamlizhoyt as a joke and it was approved. I shrugged and said okay and it has been mine ever since. 

    Love,
    ___________

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name, John Patrick Smith, was taken from two of my father's brothers: John (Johnny) Roy Smith and James Patrick (Jim-Pat) Smith. When I was in the Navy and found myself stationed with several other "John Smith's" I began using my middle name and have done so ever since. I promised myself then that I would never bless my own child with the name "John Smith."

    I, of course, broke that promise and on April Fool's Day 2002, my wife gave birth to our second child, John Thomas Smith. Normally, he's called "Johnny." When he's in trouble it's "John Thomas" and when I'm in a particularly good mood, he's "Tommy."

    ReplyDelete